If you are trying to make changes in the way you eat, chances are there are some foods that you really like or crave, and you are wondering what you could swap that food for that would be a little healthier.
There are tons of snack swaps that you can make that are healthier, better choices. There are also ingredients you can swap out in your favorite dishes, and even the way you prepare or cook a dish can be adjusted with a swap of one or two ingredients to make it healthier.
Here are just a few examples:
- Pasta: consider trying vegetable noodles instead. Zucchini and other squashes can be cut into shreds as a substitute. Spaghetti pasta makes its own “noodles” and is a great substitute in any pasta dish. If you have never cooked spaghetti squash, take a look at this helpful article which will show you two different ways to prepare it: http://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash-two-different-ways-in-the-microwave-or-in-the-oven/
- Chips and salsa: love the crunch of tortilla chips with your salsa, dip, or guacamole? Consider carrot sticks instead. You still get that crunch that you love, but also a healthy dose of Vitamin A and Beta-carotene, instead of a carb and sodium load that chips can pack.
- Salty snacks: put down the potato chips and pick up some lightly salted nuts instead. Walnuts and almonds give you healthy Omega 3 fats and you get that salty taste you crave. Raw nuts are best and pack the healthiest punch.
- Sweet tooth: instead of reaching for a candy bar or a piece of cake, try an all natural nut butter mixed with dark chocolate. You will get the sweetness you need, along with Omega 3 fats and powerful antioxidants which are great for cardiovascular and brain health.
- French fries: opt for sweet potato fries instead. Most restaurants offer these little powerhouses as an option instead of regular French fried potatoes. Loaded with Beta-carotene and Vitamin A much like carrots, these are widely available in frozen form for baking, and some stores carry them already peeled and sliced in the produce department ready to cook.
For a list of some healthy snack options, click here for a FREE download with 20 ideas for healthier snack choices: https://s3.amazonaws.com/fnc30dayjumpstart/20+Healthy+Snack+Ideas.pdf
And for some ideas about how to make healthier choices when eating out, submit the form below to check out my FREE eBook on the subject:
Health & Happiness,